The complex consists of:
- a high-density polyethylene (HDPE) plant with a capacity of 120,000 t/y, based on Ineos Innovene S technology
- a polypropylene (PP) plant with a capacity of 180,000 t/y, based on Basell Spheripol technology (the first in Azerbaijan)
The development of the projects includes engineering services, equipment, material supply and construction activities up to the start-up and performance testing of the two plants, located in the Sumgayit Petrochemical Complex, 30 km North of Baku.
Maire Tecnimont Group, through its company Tecnimont, is participating in Azerbaijan's strategic diversification of its industrial development, enabling the Country to grow its petrochemical industry entering the production of this segment of the plastics market. Polypropylene is a basic product used for several consumer goods in a wide variety of applications.
The project is paramount thanks to the number of jobs it has created, the development of local businesses, the skill transfer to local professionals, and the general focus on employment and training of the Azerbaijani population.
The Client, SOCAR Polymer LLC, is the first public-private partnership in the Azerbaijan oil and gas sector. The Country requires international companies to strengthen their application of local content, create jobs, support Azerbaijani suppliers, increase Azerbaijani ownership within the industry, promote enterprise development, accelerate the transfer of skills and technologies and prioritize the employment and training of Azerbaijani citizens. In seeking to boost local content in the host country, we have developed three specific programs:
- support the education of local students, in collaboration with Baku Higher Oil School (BHOS)
- acquire local specialized talent
- prioritize procurement of local suppliers