This contract is one of the four packages of the Liwa Plastic Industries Complex (LPIC) Project. The project’s scope of work envisages the provision of complete engineering services, equipment, material supply and construction activities up to commissioning, start up and guarantee test run of:
- a Polyethylene Plant consisting of two “swing” units with total capacity of 880,000 t/y of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE)
- a Polypropylene Plant with a capacity of 300,000 t/y
including associated Utilities and a 90,000 sqm Product Warehouse.
The polyethylene units are based on technology from Univation (Unipol PE) and polypropylene are based on Basell Poliolefine technology (Spheripol).
The workforce mobilized by Tecnimont at construction site exceeds 7,000 laborers from different countries including Omani personnel.
The HSE Policy adopted for this project is based on a continuous improvement strategy aimed at the Zero Accident target. This is driven by strong passion and utmost dedication of people who believe in Safety as a way to succeed, resulting in 18 million safe manhours spent during the first 900 days of work. Tecnimont has been congratulated by Owner and Lenders representatives for scoring constantly as “excellent HSE Performance”, among all main Contractors involved in the LIWA Plastics Projects, during several periodic Site Audits.
Through investing on personnel, goods and services, Tecnimont and its sub-contractors and suppliers generate In-Country Value in the Oman industry so as to:
- maximize and develop employment opportunities for Omanis and vocational or professional training courses, with a key focus on skilled and managerial positions
- increase investment in expenditure on goods and services made in Oman
- maximize and develop locally produced - Made-in Oman - materials, products and equipment
- develop and increase materials and equipment produced in Oman
- develop the capabilities of the local SME sector, both during contract delivery and in the longer-term
- develop world-class capability in vocational and professional education, training and research institutions in Oman, matched to actual industry opportunities
This project in Oman enables Maire Tecnimont Group to expand its industrial footprint in the GCC region.